Sunday, August 12, 2012

Westmoreland State Park

Westmoreland State Park 


Fossil Beach at Sunset

Westmoreland State Park in Virginia holds a diversity of memories for me from hiking more than 100 steps up to the top of the cliffs with my one-year old son in a backpack to recent adventures with the Cub Scouts.  Last week, on a whim, my son and I brought our tent so we could swim and search for fossils until sundown then not be concerned about the 1.5 hour drive home.  He enjoyed swimming in the river and bringing up smoothed clay deposits that were being battered about and I enjoyed finding several sharks teeth from the Miocene Era.  We stayed until about sundown then returned to the campground to set up our tent.  I purchased a propane lantern from the Visitor Center, as it was so effective when I used one the scouts had, and I was not disappointed.  Having a light that bright is going to be useful this fall when we want to set up after dark in the mountains.  Westmoreland offers excellent geographical diversity.  There is beachfront on the Potomac, a swamp that is bisected with a boardwalk and tower, and the elevated cliffs.  A substantial trail network runs throughout the park and there are three campgrounds, a freshwater pool, a fishing pier, boat rentals, and excellent beachcombing.  










No comments:

Post a Comment