Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Olympic Pride

I was in Walmart Saturday to speak with the manager about the scouts setting up a display to sell popcorn.  Once I was done I decided to get Mario and Sonic at the 2012 London Olympics on 3DS for my son.  While the clerk was getting it from the glass counter he had a discernable smirk.  My thought was there may be a problem with the game or that it was going to be replaced by a new version or something.  I asked him why he was smiling.  He replied, as we walked to the counter, "because we dominated you."  I said, "huh?"  He repeated, "because we dominated you."  I jokingly said, "I don't feel dominated and what the hell are you talking about?"  He told me he was from Jamaica and asked me how it felt that Usain Bolt didn't even look back to me [America] to make me think we even had a chance.  This was not a fraternal conversation as he came off as though he were smugly bragging for what appeared to me to be no reason.  I recall seeing the hundred meter during The Olympics and being in awe of Usain.  When he won I didn't feel dominated, nor was I disappointed an American didn't win, I just was amazed that someone could be so fast.  The Jamaican and I continued the conversation and though I love to watch The Olympics it was a little strange.  He mentioned for the third time that I was dominated.  I recall asking him why he thought I would even care and he pointed to my purchase, 3DS Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics, really?  Albeit there is a reference to The Olympics I failed to see how this could transition to Usain Bolt dominating me, cause seriously, I'm sure Sonic is much faster than him.  Anyhow, the thought crossed my mind to tell him to grab a tape on the way out to the parking lot to measure the 100 meter, but I've picked up a few pounds lately and he might have stood a good chance of beating me.  I'm not too fast even when I'm in shape so I may not have made my point.  My point here though is that I got a first-hand look at the incredible pride people have in the olympians who represent their country.  Athletes representing Jamaica won 12 medals during The Olympics, Americans won 104.  I mentioned the total medal count but he was unphased so I left him with his sense of domination in opposition to my sense of ambivalence and walked out the door.  Currently my son has won 52 medals and I have no doubt he will soon be dominating the rest of the Nintendo field, and he will surely soon be bragging about it to me.  In four years I will be cheering for the American in the 100 and 200 meter sprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment