Friday, August 17, 2012

Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge


Breaktime during a circumference paddle

The Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge is an island in the Chesapeake Bay.  You can see it from the Bay Bridge but it will take almost an hour and a half to reach it from there becasue you have to continue east, then northwest and ultimately south to the island.  I have had several memorable adventures there.  The island is 10 miles in circumference and has several coves and marshland to explore by kayak.  There are also several trails, of varying habitat on the island.  The most remarkable thing I remember about this island are the snakes.  On a circumference paddle of the Island I started out at about the 3 o'clock position, where the boat launch is, and paddled counterclockwise.  By the time I had reached the 12 o'clock position I counted more than 20 northern watersnakes of varying length from a few inches to about 3+ feet.  The morning I arrived I walked to the beach area and stood for a while to judge the wind.  I noticed a watersnake swimming straight toward me.  He came to the shorline then turned and followed it.  I was a little impressed so took pictures and video.  Several minutes later another one came in, followed by yet another.  I launched and paddled around the marsh and counted one after the other.  They are relatively harmless but have a menacing appearance.  After my paddle I inquired at the Visitor Center if I had witnessed a phenomenon or if what I saw was typical.  The staff was pretty much ambivalent, like, sure there are snakes here.  Anyhow, in the few times I've been since I've always seen abundant snakes.  Another thing that made an impression on me were the mosquitos.  I rarely encounter mosquitos or biting flies when camping and having adventures in this area.  At Eastern Neck there are several trails in wooded areas.  One of the trails began at the edge of a forest and it was like going into a curtain of mosquitos.  It was almost comical because I stepped in and was innundated so I quickly backed out.  Once I put on ample DEET and went back in and was untouched.  The island is just south of the beautiful and quaint Chesapeake Bay town of Rock Hall, Maryland, a destination of its own.  I spent one weekend camping in the area, this time in my trailer.  I had a site where I was right next to the bay and I recall a wonderful sunset dinner above the rocky shore.  I was looking across the bay and turned to look to see if anyone else was watching and I noticed the familiar blue glow of TVs emitting from half of the RVs.  The things we can get used to and the things we take for granted are amazing.  Regardless, this is a fantastic area for suburban adventures; Rock Hall has an impressive kayak outfitter with unique and high-end models, there is a great coffee shop on the way to the island, and there are a variety of rivers and streams in the area to explore.  There was also an abundance of deer, and I've seen eagles and fox.  The island is also home to great populations of migrant tundra swan in the winter.

Boardwalk through marshland to a wooded island



1 comment:

  1. Snakes are always very intriguing to watch. Would love to see pictures. The picture you posted is gorgeous. Should be. Mounted and framed.

    ReplyDelete